Useful pages

14 April 2013

Shawl-collared dress, Burda 08-2011-125

Hi, I am Lucia, I am a fabricholic.
I still buy and buy, but a sewn wardrobe is beginning to materialize, yay! Here is to keeping that up.

This weekend I finally got around to photographing most of the garments I haven't yet blogged about, woohoo! So hang on to your hats, the next few days will be a whirlwind of activity around here.

Let's begin, shall we? Here is Burda 08-2011-125. I was attracted to this dress because of the knotted collar. I especially liked its "fluffyness" or "bulkyness" or whatever you call the fact that the collar folds rather thickly around the neck.

But then I made mine with a lightweight wool boucle with a great soft hand. And you can guess what happened, can't you? Yep, my fabric is much less bulky and so the neckline is much wider and open than in the magazine. Sigh!

Right after I finished it, this bothered me a lot. So I shoved it deep in the closet with a humpf! But after a month or two it looked again fine to me. I've now worn it a couple of times and it is definitely a welcome addition to my wardrobe.

That's not to say that I don't have a few bad memories about this dress... When I noticed that the fabric was a bit loosely woven and thus prone to raveling, I decided that the best way to handle this was by flat-lining all the pieces.

Why did I think that was such a good idea on a princess seamed dress with 18 seams!! With the flat-lining technique you have to sew 5 lines of stitches for every seam. Are you doing the math in your head? Yup, that's 18x5=90!!! Ugh, what was I thinking??? It does, however, look very pretty from the inside, if I say so myself...

My review of Burda 08-2011-125 is at Pattern Review.

7 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous! I love this pattern and want to try it myself someday. I think your collar turned out very pretty. It looks good with the black turtleneck underneath, but I bet it would look really nice without it, too. The inside is gorgeous as well. It looks like a really nice addition to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, I am quite happy with it now, but it did have to grow on me.

      Delete
  2. Que maravilla, Lucía! Me gusta más el tuyo que el de la revista! Y te queda fenomenal! Felicitaciones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mil gracias Merche, es mi estilo estas faldas amplias, pero son mucho trabajo. Tendre que buscarme un estilo mas facilito.

      Delete
  3. How beautiful your dress turned out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, funny how some of them take a while before I like them fully.

      Delete
  4. Oh, you keep making the dresses that I love! This is a great dress, and your flat-lining (underlining?) is perfect, even if it did add 100 hours of labour to the dress!

    ReplyDelete