Useful pages

07 April 2012

Mom's mint top resized

Hi, I am Lucia, I am a fabricholic. I buy and I buy and I never sew anything. Here is to changing that!
Mom's mint silk shell, re-sized to fit.

My mom loved clothes. She had a great sense of style and she only bought the highest quality she could afford, taking very good care of her clothes so they would last her longer. So when she died, 7 years ago, I couldn't bear to give all her clothes away, even though most are at least 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear. Just like with my fabric stash, I often daydreamed about re-sizing this, re-fashioning that... Well, I've finally taken the plunge.

I followed Sherry's downsizing tutorial at Pattern ~ Scissors ~ Cloth and I love the result. True, the neckline is still too wide, but can that even be fixed? Plus why mess with the beautifully done bias binding to say nothing of redoing the button placket at back. I think it is quite wearable this way. I know, the color is a bit too "scrubs", especially with my complexion, but...

... I desperately needed a top for my "greyple" ensemble because that grey-purple tone is soooo hard to match! According to my trusty color wheel my only options are mint green and soft pastel yellow.
 
The greyple ensemble: Zig-zag fur jacket, Burda 12-2007-122, mint re-sized top and Vogue 2163 pants by Bill Blass.

Forgive the smirk on my face. I can't help but smiling whenever I put on my crazy zig-zag fur jacket, even if I'm also wearing scrubs! :-) 

Oh, I almost forgot. The mint top is the second item I've completed from my spring 2012 swap. I'm on a roll!

3 comments:

  1. Hola Lucia. Tu español es fantastico, como tu blog. Lo voy a seguir desde YA! Un beso y ánimo con la costura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! no veo tu botoncito de hacerme follower. supongo que añadiendo tu URL a mi lista de blogs vale, no? Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Meche, que bueno que me dices del boton de follow. Ya se lo he puesto a mi blog porque faltaba. Mi Español es porque soy mexicana :-) Vivo en Holanda porque me case con un holandes... Saludos

      Delete