Useful pages

20 November 2011

Plumbago long summer dress

My name is Lucia. I am a fabricholic. I buy and buy fabrics and never finish anything. Here is to changing that!

I have a great long summer dress by Evan Picone. It is so comfy and yet can still look stylish even in 40C weather. But I bought it sometime in 1997-98 and its age is beginning to show. I shouldn't complain, I throw it in the washer... delicate cycle, but still. Anyway, I bought a nice border print in plumbago blue around the same time (yes, I know, shame on me) and it is time to make a replacement for my dear old Evan Picone.

I copied the original using cotton muslin, corrected the trace of the curves a bit and voila! There are front and back darts at the waist, and only three seams: sides and back. Not much to it. The dress is lined and there are neck and armhole facings.

The blue border print is more fluid than the original fabric, but it still hangs nicely on me (a pear who cannot wear anything clingy around the hips!). I love it! If only the summer could get here faster... Come to think of it, I have another border print (black scribbles on gray, with a Japanese vibe) that I might want to use for another copy of the trusty old Evan Picone...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment